Sunday, December 16, 2007

simple joys of being single

Today I had an epiphany of sorts: a realization of me and my place in the world.
It was a rough start to the weekend. Two let downs and a lonely Saturday, save for a good friend and lunch at the local greasy spoon. Positive affirmations are really the only thing saving me from downing a litre of roasted marshmallow ice cream and a container of cheese.

First things first: simple joys of being single
~peeing with the bathroom door open
~returning to one's house in the same condition one left it
~drinking out of fancy glasses without anyone asking what the special occasion is
~sleeping in the middle of a queen-sized bed
~silence
~watching the Real Housewives of Orange County and not morning cartoons
~my liquor is only being drank by me and I know how much there is at all times
~the shoe rack is full of my shoes, and my shoes only
This is a start, there are more, but I'll start small.

But now onto my epiphany. As I mentioned before it has been a rough weekend. Tears have flowed quite easily but I'm grateful for my friends that have supported me and my decision to make a huge leap for my own happiness. (You have to think about yourself.)
I am amazing. I have traveled (somewhat) extensively on my own through Europe. I have a job, no, a career and a future at a fabulous company. I am a very open person to talk to, especially about gender and sex (I may even know TOO much - if that's possible.) I have ambition, drive, motivation, dreams, goals and a plan. I go to school part-time on top of my full-time job and just got 97% in my class. My friends are fantastic and supportive. I've got an amazing family that supports me 110% in my decisions. I deserve the best.
Drumroll for the epiphony:
It's not what's wrong with me that is the question. I will no longer ask what I did because I've cried enough over that. The only thing I did wrong was care and try hard when I wasn't reciprocated and I deserve better. I deserve the best.

3 comments:

that girl possessed said...

fuckin' rights sweetheart!!! god, i love you sooooo much and that is such an awesome epiphany to have and i'm so glad you've had it :)

Anonymous said...

that is a fabulous and awesome epiphany. I have enjoyed reading through your blog(s) ... I started back with the lj ones from 2005 and we still knew each other, then progressed a bit through faghag and now to this one - you are still simply amazing.

Buddy and Snowball said...

Congrats on the epiphany. As GI Joe used to say, "knowing (yourself) is half the battle," right?